Monday, October 12, 2009

Let's Do the Time Warp Again...

This past weekend, I traveled home to Decatur to spend time with my family and also with friends who I haven't seen in years. One of my high school friends, Kimberly, lives in Arizona but was coming back to Decatur for a visit, which made this a great weekend to get together! The Class of 1994 (the year ahead of me) was also having their 15-year high school reunion Saturday night, which gave us a good opportunity to see people we normally wouldn't.

Five of us met up for dinner at Bizou on Saturday night -- me, Kimberly, Tori, Beth, and Lesley. I had never been to Bizou before and it was pretty nice! There were some great looking things on the menu, but they were a little pricier than I wanted to pay, so Kimberly and I ordered off the appetizer menu! I was very happy with my veggie quesadilla, especially because it had great big chunks of avacado stuffed in with the onions, cheese, and tomatoes. Delicious!

After dinner, we walked over to Daugherty's, which is where the reunion was taking place. It had just wrapped up and so we spent a few minutes talking with people who were still there. I have to admit, there were several people who I didn't recognize! Some people had changed a lot, some people I just didn't remember...also, my memory isn't the best these days! Luckily, Kimberly filled me in on who most people were, so I was good to go.

The party moved to the Cornerstone Bar after that. This is a bar that used to be called something like The 99 Club, I think. I just remember it as the weird bar across the street from Farm & Fleet where some 3rd shifters used to go in the morning time. I never went there when I lived in Decatur, either, so it always seemed like it was not the place to go. Apparently, it's now a very "Meridian" place to go, according to my sources! We had a pretty good time! There was a DJ (although the stuff he was playing was a bit techno/dance remix for my taste much of the time), there was a dance floor, there were cheap cans of beer...it was Decatur at its finest! There was also a handwritten "Cash Only!" sign behind the bar, a sad sight for those of us who don't carry cash anymore! I was assured by the waitress that there was an ATM, but if was broken! Luckily, I had enough money for one drink, and several friends found it in their hearts to provide me with more throughout the night! The funniest part of the night was that a lot of us kept going outside to the "beer garden" to talk because it was so loud inside, and people kept saying, "I'm so old! It's too loud in there!"

It was great to see people and brought back a lot of memories! It was also weird because it definitely felt like I was back in 1994-1995, since that was the last time I saw many of these people! It's like my brain was trying to remember that this was 2009 the whole time! Also, it was weird but really fun to see everyone's kid pictures. We're so grown up now!

Of course, I got to show off this gorgeous boy, so lucky them!

No comments: