Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Cookies for...the elderly?


Today is my late night at work, which means I don't have to go in to work until 10 a.m. This is also Cecilia's late night, so lately, we've been doing some errands together in the morning. It's AWESOME to be able to do some shopping without our children with us! Don't get me wrong...we love our kids to death! However, shopping with kids is very, VERY different from shopping without kids! An example:

Without kids:
You can spend 20 minutes agonizing over which ones are the PERFECT Christmas ornaments for your tree, and how many should you get, and what about this color, and do I like the sparkles or the plain, and why don't these reds match, and let's just get the ones we first picked up anyway! Sometimes you need the time to process and weigh the pros and cons of each type of ornament!

With kids:
OHMYGOSH if this child doesn't SIT IN THE CART I'm going to LOSE my mind! Austin, sit down! No, sit! Please sit...here's a cookie! Did you drop your cup? Where's your cup? Do you want to sit with Grayson? Okay, hold on! No, don't LAY on Grayson! Don't pull his hair! Please don't scream in Target! Okay, how about another cookie? Do you want to sit with Cece? Can you sit back in our cart? ALRIGHT, THAT'S IT! I'm belting you in the seat and we're leaving! Oh...what? Ornaments? Whatever, I'm just grabbing these...

So we were at Target. Right when we got in there, we immediately felt out of place because we were there with all the stay at home moms and their kids! It was like we had a bright neon sign flashing above our heads screaming out, "WORKING MOMS!!! Our kids are in daycare right now...and we don't even work until 10!!" I have to add in here that I totally respect and completely admire stay at home moms. I couldn't do what they do...it's harder in its own way than being a working mom! This is just a joke that we have at work about how we're working moms who are bad mommies because we don't have the time to bake cookies, do craft projects, and prepare a homemade fresh fruit tray for our child's parent-teacher conference day!

Back to Target. We walk in and, once we make our jokes about being working moms, notice that there is a table set up with a sign that says, "Free Refreshments" with coffee and cookies being handed out. Okay, I know it was like 8:45 a.m., but I didn't have any breakfast and was starving. I thought, "I'll get one cookie and that will be my 'breakfast'." (Please hold all comments about poor choices -- we've ALL had a cookie for breakfast now and again!). I stood in the little line behind several older ladies and another lady in a wheelchair. Finally, it was my turn. A man started to come up and try to get his refreshment, but the lady behind the table said, "Hold on," to him and turned to me. I said I just would like one of the cookies please. She handed it to me and said something like, "This is Holiday Helpers, serving our elderly and disabled guests..."

What?

Was I not supposed to be partaking of the refreshments?

I kind of said, "Okay..." and turned to go back to Cecilia. We both tried to figure out her comment (which was said in a tone...not mean...but there was a definite tone). I started kind of getting irritated because if the cookies and coffee were ONLY for the elderly and disable Target patrons, can we get a more clear sign or something? Or could she have just said, "I'm sorry, these are just for the old/rollin' peeps in Target today." I mean, would that have been so hard?

As we continued through the store, I kept feeling embarrassed/irritated. Then, as we walked on, we both started to notice that there were an awful lot of elderly and disabled people in the store. We began to wonder if this was a special "Elderly/Disabled Day Out" kind of day at Target.

That would be just my luck. To be the one non-elderly, non-disable ass standing in line for a cookie when they're supposed to be for people NOT like me!! I can hear the crowd murmuring, "Who's that ass in line taking the elderly/disable people's cookie? That's really nice!"

But, Holiday Helpers, can we put up a more explanatory sign???

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

cookies for breakfast...not fated to be...
I've gone to those target free stuff things before...got my presents wrapped for free..you have to be over 55 I think....so I'm just one of those "old rollin' peeps" without the wheels yet...you could be too, someday.

Emily said...

But was there ever a sign that said "Only for people over 55"? Because I think they needed to clarify that!